This question has been answered · 117 replies
Forums · General English Grammar & Vocabulary, Listening & Speaking · English Audio: Speech & Pronunciation
Approved answer (verified by Punkybrewster)
1. When thinking about anything, such as a problem you are trying to work out, talk to yourself in English. This will help you increase your vocabulary and in time will help with your fluency.
2. Try and find a native speaker to chat with - maybe you can do a language exchange with someone.
3. Listen to as much English as possible. Films or videos with either a transcript or subtitles can be very useful, so that you can read what was said if you didn't understand it.
4. Read as much in English as possible to increase your vocabulary.
5. Work on your accent by playing recordings of English and pausing them to imitate what the speaker has said paying attention to not only the sounds but also the rhythm and intonation.
6. Surround yourself with spoken English as much as possible. Even if you have an English radio station on and are not actively listening, you will still be picking up on the rhythm and sound of English.
Above all learning a language takes lots of practice and plenty of patience. Cherish all your individual small achievements in the new language and over time they will add up to increased fluency and confidence.
I too had this problem when I was in my college days. I did the following things. I hope these would help you.
For nearly one year I stopped reading anything in my mother tongue. I kept on reading everything in English. Besides this I also had the opportunity of sharing everything that I had read with my friend.
Thinking in English has helped me immensely. Generally, as you know it well, we tend to think in our mother tongue and try to translate that in English. Stop doing that. Instead think in English.
dude:It would be useful to have English/American/Canadian/Australian friends so you could communicate with them.
Take into account that there is a slight difference between their Englishes.
Anonymous:Hello friends . im Elham , 24. i wish to learn english just like my mother tongue.
i know essentional words but im not fluent. i have problems in listening. would you please help me?
Anonymous:Elham i use to watch dvd videos, musics, tv programs, all in english...it helps me a lot..i can tell you that my listening is getting better quickly.
To be a fluent speaker, you must first have good english pronounciation, speak slowly, don't be shy and just speak. Learn to correct yourself and try to talk like your english speaking friends.
I had been the same problem to speak english for two to three years, the advice in regard of this problem that you should read english news papers as much as possible
dont be shy,and just speak and when u r reading news paper a small dictionary should
near u and after this you will feel that you have lot of vocabulary this exercise would be beneficial for u and the second one is try to speak english with others and join the company of people who speak english.
People are waiting to help.
Live chatRegistered users can join here
Related forum topics:
Best way to learn English?English is hard to learn because ...How to speak good english?How the easy way to learn english?How to speak English with an accent?!?How to Speak English FluentlyLearn English for free.?Speak English - 5000 audio clips to help you...how to speak and pronounce in English?LEARN ENGLISH WITH SKYPEESL, How to speak and learn English languageMy students can't speak English?ESL, how to learn english effectivelyPlan to learn English a day?How to learn spoken english?Learn How to Communicate in English?Learn How to speak in EnglishLearn to / Learn how to?How to learn English from music/songs?speak English?A reason to learn EnglishLearn to speak English like a nativeHow to learn English?How to learn english grammer well ?