Forums · General English Grammar & Vocabulary, Listening & Speaking · General English Grammar Questions
I have finished working on my English assignment and was wondering if someone could check it for me. It is about linking the appropriate function to each of the sentences.
Thank you for your help.
* My answers are in 'bold and italic'
A sentence or statement can have many different functions. Look at the following list of functions and complete the next exercise:
1. Mark gets up at six every morning. 2. Routine
2. Water freezes at 0° Celsius. 1. A scientific truth
3. Julie smokes about 20 cigarettes a day. 4. Habit
4. The train to London leaves at 11.30. 6. A schedule or reguarly occuring or predictable event (such as a timetable)
5. Mark doesn’t speak fluent Japanese. 7. Information about a person's ability
6. Pope Visits War Zone. 3. A newspaper headline
7. Every Wednesday night we all play squash after work. 2. Routine
8. Squirrels hibernate in the winter. 5. A fact about the present
9. I’ll give you 50 pence if you run down to the shop for me. 11. A promise
10. The sun rises at 6.43am tomorrow. 1. A general or scientific truth
11. Show your face here again and I’ll call the police. 9. A threat
12. Bryan is a great actor. 7. Information about a person's ability
13. Don’t you ever darken my doorstep again! 8. A warning
14. Why don’t you go back to university and do a postgraduate course? 10. A suggestion
15. If you pass your exams, I’ll buy you a new bicycle. 11. A promise
16. Professor Melvyn Fenwick Gives Talk on Moon. 1. A general or scientific truth
17. Mark shares a house with his mother at the moment. 1. A general or scientific truth
18. Damian can play the piano very well. 7. Information about a person's ability
19. Fifty or so trains run on the Indian Pacific Railroad every week. 5. A fact about the present
RayH:It looks like you got most of them. I only see two that look wrong.
8. Squirrels hibernate in the winter. 1. A general or scientific truth
16. Professor Melvyn Fenwick Gives Talk on Moon. 3. A newspaper headline
People are waiting to help.
Live chatRegistered users can join here
Related forum topics:
SIMPLE PRESENT EXPRESSES HABIT?present simple vs present continious?simple past vs present perfect?Simple Present + Since?Present Perfect Tense?he is gone. What tense is being used? Is that...simple present tense exercise?Since + simple present?Present Perfect or Simple Past?Present/Past tense in the present?Present Tense functions?simple past tense vs present perfect ?present continious or simple present tense ?Blending the simple past and simple present...Present Perfect: This is confusing in Functions?Past Simple and Present Perfect?Simple Present Tense In this Sentence?Present tense and simple present?Review on the tenses ! 1 - Simple Present?Simple present?Grammar Present simple or present cont.