This is a discussion thread · 6 replies
What is a speech?
- Speeches are talks delivered in public on formal and informal occasions.
- There are many types of speeches such as 'welcome speech', 'thank you speech' and 'farewell speech'. Besides, there are also speeches on topics of interest and social issues.
- The PRESENT TENSE IS USUALLY USED when you write out a speech.
You are the head prefect in your school. At the beginning of the new school term, you have been asked to remind students about the school regulations. Write out your speech using the notes below:-
-wear white shoes and socks
-boys - short
-girls - short or long - long hair must be tied up
Make up-is not allowed in school!
-Pay attention in class
-No playing truant
When writing the speech, remember to;
- include all the points given
- elaborate on the points
- set out your speech correctly
- write in paragraph
Sample answer + explanation on the framework (Pay attention to how the points are elaborated)
Good morning to our principal, teachers and fellow students. Welcome to the new school term. I am Nuzul Fikrie Ahmad, the head prefect of SMK Raja Muda. This morning, I would like to refresh your memory about our school regulations especially regarding attire and conduct.
Paragraph 1 – INTRODUCTION
1) Greet the audience.
e.g: Good morning / afternoon / evening to
2) Introduce yourself to the audience- (your name, position held, department attached to)
- boys and girls..
- our principal, teachers and fellow students… (at an official school function)
- Mr Chairman, ladies and gentlemen… (at an official function or society meeting)
- Yang Berhormat, Tan Sri Najib Abdul Rahman, ladies and gentlemen… (if there is a distinguished guest)
e.g: I am Dr Fiqry Nasir from Assunta Hospital in Petaling Jaya.
3) Introduce topic
e.g: I am here to present a talk on the topic ‘Body Fitness.’
4) Purpose of speech
e.g: The purpose of my talk today is to make you realize the importance looking after your food intake and how your health can be maintained through exercising.
To create a good impression, always be dressed neatly in your school uniform complete with white shoes and white socks. Don’t forget to wear your school badge and name tag.
Your hair should be short and neatly combed. Boys should always keep their hair short. Girls are allowed to keep long hair but it should always be neatly combed and tied. No one is allowed to wear jewellery. If you do, then your jewellery will be confiscated. In addition, you cannot use make-up. Your nails should always be kept short. Remember, no nail polish is allowed.
Regarding your conduct, always be punctual. Respect your teacher and pay attention in class. Remember, no loitering around and playing truant. If you don’t comply with the school rules, you will have to face the music.
Last term, several students were suspended or expelled from school for fighting, smoking and other serious offences. Handphones are banned. If you bring handphones, they will be confiscated.
Paragraph 2,3,4,5 – BODY
- Main points and their elaboration (facts, figures, examples)
- Elaborate 1 point in 1 paragraph or combine a few relevant points and elaborate in 1 paragraph
These regulations are meant to create a positive image and environment for the school. There are, of course, some black sheep who will break the regulations. Do not be influenced by them. Instead, set a good example for others.
Paragraph 6: Conclusion
- The speaker’s hope
- Thank the audience. e.g: Thank you very much for your kind attention.
| || |
Ms Nuha, thank you for posting this. It is really informative. I need your help to improve my English. Can you plz give me some advices to work on my English, specially the grammar, which books do you recommend in grammar, what to do every day, ... This is my email hope you reply to me Email Removed
Anonymous:thank you madam, informative and well presented speech.I also have a problem with gramma.i am a student of pulic relations at university but my gramma is pathethic.pliz advise me as to how to improve because soon ill be going to face the world.
Anonymous:Consult Raymond Murfy,Rapidex English Speaking Course & a couple of HOLLYWOOD MOVIES.....
Anonymous:thanks a lot madam,now i think that i can do my assessment:D
Anonymous:thans it was very helpful
Anonymous:thanks;. That was helpful.
Live chatRegistered users can join here