Forums · General English Grammar & Vocabulary, Listening & Speaking · English Audio: Speech & Pronunciation
Guest:Why many foreign speakers have such problems with the English language? I mean, I came to the U.S. about two years ago, and in the beginning I've had problems with the language (probably just like eveybody else), but what makes English such a difficult language to learn? Most people (like in Europe) they grasp the [other] languages right away. The pronunciation is a lot easier, but still? What is so difficult about English? I know that there is stress, and that a lot of people shorten the vowels, but what makes English so hard?
Thank You for taking Your time reading this
Im not sure if I can answer your question correctly but i can tell you that MAYBE it is because of the PRONUNCIATION itself and because of the complexity in English.
21 Reasons Why The English Language Is Hard To Learn:
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was
time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
Funny but TRUE
Anonymous:Hello !!!!! I come from Greece so i cant tell you exactly what is so wrong with the english language.I came to Canberra four months ago and i still have problem with speaking.Back in Greece we use some expresions wich cannot be used in english.Also the tenses are more. For instance we dont have present perfect or past continious. It sounds grazy to me.Another point is the words.We use so many words that have the same meaning.For example u can say "because of" or "due to" or "caused by" and this sounds crazy to me for once again.Greek is so difficult language with a lot of words but english i think is more complecated.
I've just read your mail. Your questions is very interesting. Learning english as a second language can be a hard subject, but depend on your previous environment. Depend on your mother tonge. I mean, languages have a core structure, a root, an origin, as you can see... For instance, if you came from a pretty different language (for example, your mother tonge is "Mandarin" or "Korean", it's possible you have more troubles because internal structures in your language are very different from English).
Another example, people who are from The Netherlands can learn in a easy way Deutch because the root is similar. Spaniars can learn easier Italian than Chinese... I hope this point is clear.
Furthermore, depend your strategies to learn english. Traditionally, a lot of people want to improve his/her idiomatic skills learning a lot of grammar structures. It's a pity that a lot of people lose a lot of time because you can learn grammar during, for example, 5 years and don't know anything (or have a lot of problems) when you want to communicate in another language.
Finally, American english is very different to another english accents.
Bye for now,
Anonymous:I have learned English for seven and a half years now (at school) and I must say it is the easiest language I've ever learned. Maybe it is hard because of all the tenses (my mother tongue is Estonian and it has no future tense) or the vocabulary.
People are waiting to help.
Live chatRegistered users can join here
Related forum topics:
Best way to learn English?English is hard to learn because ...What makes hapiness?What is the most difficult in Englisth grammar?Essex English pronunciation?Why The English Language Is So Hard To LearnLearn Middle English?DIFFICULT?ESL, How to speak and learn English languagePlan to learn English a day?English is so hard to learn!!How to learn spoken english?why do some books use so much difficult english?Read Catcher in the Rye to learn English?Learn How to Communicate in English?Learn Diffrent English Accents: MP3?Learn various accents/dialects?what makes Harvard, Oxford, etc. so famous?Long instead of short vowelsPronunciation Videospronunciation?How to learn English?Pronunciation of "an" and "the"?