I'd like to know if somewhere in the UK there are some features that can be found in American English. I'll try to describe some of the features I'm curious about, I hope you'll understand what I mean, because I won't use phonetic symbols and so my transcriptions won't be accurate. However, I hope you'll recognize the features I'm trying to describe:
  • s + y = sh (this year ----> this sheer)
  • t + y = ch (but you -----> buh chyoo, don't you -----> don chyoo, can't you ---->can chyoo,...)
  • d + y ----> the d becomes j as in junior, in cases like: did you, would you, could you,...
  • z sound + y = s as in pleasure (for example, the s in "as you know" sounds like the s in pleasure)
  • American "o" (not, god, cop, top, shop, stop, shock... pronounced like in American English, where that "o" is a kind of "ah")
  • tapped t, some t's become slight d's (put it away -----> puddid away, about it -----> aboudit)
  • the vowel in words like "talk, walk, call, all" pronounced the American way, where that vowel is more open.
  • the diphthong in words like "no, so, low, owe", pronounced the American way.
Are those features found somewhere or sometimes in the UK? And if there's something similar in the UK, who speaks like that and where do people talk that way?

Thank you in advance Emotion: smile
1 2
Comments  (Page 2) 
... read this blog entry - makes a lot of sense:

Yes, it makes sense... amazing! Emotion: smile
Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?