When calling someone by cellphone, we sometimes hear this kind of message (in Japanese in my case):
"The phone you have called is outside the communication range."
Is that the way it's said in English?
Thank you.
1 2
That sounds right. I'm unsure as to what the official way of saying it would be, but "outside the communication range" definately makes sense, and fits the context.

I, however, just say "it [the phone] has so signal" Emotion: smile

Or perhaps 'the number you have dialed is out of range'. Not that I would know, not having a cellular phone.
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.
Here, in the UAE, it says "outside the coverage area".
"Coverage area" is normal English.

Nyarlathotep, may I correct your spelling of "definitely".
"Coverage area" is used in India too.

I feel "No signal" is not a good choice.

Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?
Eimai_AnglosNyarlathotep, may I correct your spelling of "definitely".

You may, and have; please accept my sincere apologies. Emotion: smile

science_guru, "no signal" is much more colloquial - I didn't quite mean it as an 'official message' displayed on electronic communications devices!

In France, the reception quality (?) is shown by little bars on the screen; so when we are out of the reception zone, we just say "I have no bars". Not that it's very relevant here...Emotion: indifferent
But it was interesting, Pieanne.
Teachers: We supply a list of EFL job vacancies
Show more