Does the applicant have experience utilizing computerized tomography?

What is the underlined part called in English grammar? Why must the -ing form be used? Is it an adverbial, a gerund form, or something different?


I want to have my house painted.

What is painted called? It is not the past tense.

Thank-you kindly for your responses or comments.
1 2
experience utilizing computerized tomography -- Utilizing is a gerund, and the phrase is an object complement (the object of have: experience).
Have...painted is a causative verb form, and painted is a past participle used as an object complement (of house).
Thank-you very much for your prompt reply. Can you recommend a grammar book for native and near-native level speakers of English? Is there somewhere I should look on this site to learn more about advanced (to me, anyway) grammatical terms? Thank-you again, Mister Micawber.
Students: We have free audio pronunciation exercises.
Thank-you for your suggestion.
Someone recently suggested that this was a "participial something"...any ideas on that?

Do gerund clauses have to have a subject or is it simply a gerund here (no clause)?
Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?
Does the applicant have experience utilizing computerized tomography?
Some grammarians don't like the name 'gerund' and stick with 'participial form of the verb' and/or call such clauses merely ' '-ing' clauses'. If the clause serves as a noun, the -ing verb form can be called a gerund.

Utilizing tomography thrills me.
My hobby is utilizing tomography.

Such clauses don't need a subject, but have one in some constructions: His computer utilizing tomography makes it much easier for him to get his job done.
Thank-you again. Are there "schools" of thought in grammar?
Ing-form is just fine.
Many new grammars avoid the "gerund" term. Trying to separate between the gerund and the participle is sometimes something like a lost cause ...
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.
Show more