The 'cookie' in the US seems to be the 'biscuit'
in the UK. What is called 'biscuit' in the US
seems to be quite diiferent from what is called 'biscuit'
in the UK.
Am I right?
1 2 3
Yes, you are.
Come on, Clive, give some info please. I knew there was a difference but I kept visiting the thread to read about it. Emotion: smile
Teachers: We supply a list of EFL job vacancies
Biscuits in UK are crackers, I think.
American biscuits are "bread" made with flour and butter (don't have a whole list of ingredients though). They are round little things that get served with lunches and dinners.
Cookie/biscuit are US/UK versions of much the same thing - although you can also buy cookies in the UK which are large gooey often warm biscuits.

In the UK a cracker is a thin hard dry savoury biscuit, the sort you balance a lump of cheese on.

I think the UK equivalent of a US 'biscuit' is either a dumpling or a scone...but I don't think we have the exact same thing here. Give me a recipe for a biscuit and I'll tell you what I'd call it!
Hi Miche,
Sorry, language information is free, cooking information costs money! Emotion: smile
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.
They are round little things that get served with lunches and dinners.

I've found a recipe for it:
[url="http://southernfood.about.com/od/biscuitrecipes/r/blbb295.htm "] buttermilk biscuit[/url]

Sorry Clive. Don't mean to ruin your cookbook business. Emotion: smile
Ok...not quite like anything we have then (the thought of UK biscuits in a sausage gravy Emotion: ick! ).

Halfway between a dumpling (cooked in liquid - usually in stews) and a scone (cooked like small cakes, often served with jam and cream).
Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?
Show more