Would you please answer my questions?

Is "Arrised" should be replaced with "Arised" in this phrase?
If there is no need to do that, what does it mean? (arised)

"Aquamarine Crystal Cube Arised Edges."

1 2
Arrised and arised are not English words.

Do you mean raised edges? You might want to search Google for images of "raised edges". Those do not appear to me to be raised. They look beveled to me.
Thank you for your reply, Shawn.
I knew that, but that was the title of that picture. I was baffled, so I asked why they've used "arised".
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.
arrised doesn't seem to appear in too many dictionaries, but it's a craftsmans' word for chamfering.
pronounced like 'a wrist' if your a yorkshireman like me.
Being a tradesman and something of a craftsman I have been using the term for over 40 years.
I believe an Aris is a 45 degree small bevel and a bevel will be any slope other than 45 degrees.
Chris Freeman
Pity I didn't see this years ago...
Arised means bevelled of glass or laminate. Usually glass or bench edges.
It refers to softening the edge to remove sharpness.
Certainly is an English word - in use from ancient times.
Students: We have free audio pronunciation exercises.
I would say neither, those edges are clearly flat polished.
An arised edge is ugly, it's nothing more than a belt sander run across the sharp edges of glass to eliminate the sharp edge. The finished product is uneven, matte finished, rough edge that will not cut you.

As for arrised vs. arised, I work in the glass industry and I see both used but glass manufacturers seem to use arised more.

As a carpenter i like to ask other carpenters whether they put an arris on an edge or take it off. sadly most of the young guys say to put it on. An arris is a sharp edge formed by two intersecting planes on wood or glass or masonry. quite simply when you arris a piece of timber, you take that edge off by either bevelling it or sanding it.

As for the spelling, An Arris , to Arris, it's been Arrissed. I have seen other spelling though.



Correct John.

The arris is the sharp edge.

I was taught to ‘remove an arris’ is to soften or apply a small bevel to the edge.

Unfortunately in Australia everyone seems to specify an arris as a treatment to the edge, I don’t believe this is correct. I was watching the Aussie version of Grand Designs only last night and the Architect presenter referred to a beveled edge as an arris. This is what prompted me to post this response. I am hoping someone can clear this issue once and for all


Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?
Show more