Thanks in advance
Level : Elementary
Lesson Length: 45 minutes
Objective: To be able to describe person's physical appearance.
Target Language: Subject+ verb to be+ adjective
Subject+ have/has got+ adjective+ noun
Subject+ verb to be+ ing
Assumed Knowledge: Students at this level will know parts of the body, colours and clothing. Sentence structures as he/she/it is; he/she has got.
Anticipated Problems: Some of the problems at this level could be confusion between the use of the verb to be and the verb to have.
Solutions: During presentation stage point out that "has got" is used only with he/she/it.
Preperation and Aids: Blackboard, flashcards, poster, pictures, worksheet for homework.
Stage Activity Interaction Timing
1. Warmer "Find someone who (has got blue t-shirt, red trousers, etc.)" T-S 5min
Revision of last lesson.
2. Use flashcards to elicit new words: T-S 3min
build => thin/fat;
hair => long/short, straight/curly/wavy, blonde/red/brown/black;
facial appearance => big/small nose/ears/mouth; verb 'to wear'
3. Elicit sentences using "He/she is...(build); He/she has got..(hair, facial appearance); S-T He/she is wearing...(clothing). Poster(girl and boy) is hanged on a board. Flashcards with new words are hanged around. Vocabulary and declarative structures using "be" , "have" and "be+wearing" are introduced. 5min
4. Drill chorally and individually. Use pictures of children. Pay attention to usage of pronouns "he/she". As well, structures using "be" , "have" and "be+wearing" T-S-T 3min
5. Pairwork. Students get picture to describe a same person. PW 4 min
6. Check their work chorally. S-T-S 2 min
7. Students draw a picture of a class mate.Drawing shouldn't be disclosed to anyone. S 4min
8. Pairwork. Sitting back to back with a partner. Describe picture (paper shouldn't be disclosed). Partner will listen and draw picture on his paper. PW 5 min
9. 4-5 students will present their pictures to the whole class using the structures: He/she is...(build); He/she has got...(hair, facial appearance); He/she has got...(clothing). Other students will guess who is it. S-S 10min
10. Play true or not usind descriptions of build, hair, facial appearance, clothing. T-S 3min
Ask students to respond if you've got blonde hair/you're tall/you've got brown eyes.
11. Set worksheet for homework. T-S 1min
People are waiting to help.
Related forum topics: