This is a discussion thread · 17 replies
I want to know the disadvantages of English Language and the bad effects it has on people in countries around the world. Please help me as soon as possible.
First, please tell us what thoughts you have on this topic.
Looking for ESL work?: Try our EFL / TOEFL / ESL Jobs Section!
You mean, my thoughts.
hmm... This is for a debate. My team has to speak of the topic:
"English Language is not needed to Sri Lanka"
Sri Lanka is a country which speaks in Sinhala, but the opposition team tells that English is needed.
So, I want to know how English is not useful as a global language. I think that English is uncertain and it has different pronounciation which may confuse people & now what I want is your ideas please..
Hello there Navanjana,
First of all, I am neither a debater nor a native english speaker. And what's more, I am totally a newbie at this site. Still, I have a few ideas that I'd like to share with you, my friend.
Your title is "English is not useful in Sri Lanka"; so, I'll divide this topic into two broad ideas:
1) Why English is needed to be learnt by non-native speakers of other countries?
- scientifically speaking, learning new languages (either it's English or other languages in this world) has been proven to help in your brain development. (for further elaboration and ideas, please visit this website : http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=brainBriefings_thebilingualbrain )
- Undoubtably, English is the lingua franca of this 21st century. Why do we need a lingua fraca? Simply because it offers you a lot of advantages - specifically in your international activities (working, studying, communicating etc - please, visit this website for further reading : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca )
- syntatically, it's an easy language (i.e the grammar and vocabulary), and it's surely going to be more fun to be learnt along with your friends. So, indirectly, it offers you an interesting and encouraging (yet easy) activity to be done with your peers.(good social activity?)
- phonetically, it only has five vowels and uses the most common consonants as other European languages. (ah, kinda the same with the abovementioned idea - an easy language to be learnt)
2) Why English is not needed to be learnt by non-native speakers of other countries?
- Your own mother-tongue is one of the best ways of representing your country to the outside world. if everyone only speaks English, where's the diversity and uniqueness of each country? (you can elaborate more from this idea - example : different languages going to yield different kinds of music lyrics?)
- you can simply use Japan as your example; it's one of the best known industrial countries in this world that has been using their own native language (Japanese) as the medium language in their educational sytem; and yet, they succeed in their economy growth and everything. (for further reading, please visit this website : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Japan )
P.S : Well, I am just sharing a few simple facts here - it's up to you on how to process and debate these ideas further. and yeah,some of these ideas might be inappropriate - i am truly sorry for that! all the best, Navanjana!
One main disadvantage of English language is that it affects our economy because if we dont knw how to communicate in English than we could not trade with international companies.
Anonymous, wouldn't it be an advantage for the ones who do speak English? Try to picture if you had to learn every language of every single country in the world to be able to negotiate, that'd be worse.
Your question mean..There are no disadventages of English language. Right?
One main disadvantage of English language is that it affects our economy because if we dont knw how to communicate in English than we could not trade with international companies
I think this is one of an advantages of English language, because English language use as a communication language between people from different countries.
You said "if we dont knw how to communicate in English " .
That means we should to lean English language..
If there is disadvantages, why are you using english to ask people " Iwant to know the disadvantages of English Language and the bad effects it has on people in countries around the world. Please help me as soon as possible," ?