I would have said those were the only 'standard' pronunciations in BrE, yes. The vowel shown for 'golf' would be different in AmE (the a in father), but that shown for 'gulf' would be the same.
I misspoke. "heard ... only one way" gave the wrong impression. I'm sure there are many different ways with many, many regional and sub-regional variants. Probably I meant something more like "ever heard among my friends, relatives, and acquaintances, none of whom were born or raised south of the Mason-Dixon line or east of the Mississippi"!
If a weather caster pronounces The Gulf of Mexico as the “Golf” of Mexico, I change the channel.
if you can say
sea gull or Jethro Tull
you can say Gulf correctly
Do you realize that you are answering a question that was asked 12 years ago?
Why not answer questions that are more recent? That way you have a better chance that the person who asked the question is still participating on our forum and can benefit from your answer.
- This Is Me Or This Is I?
- IQ Test?
- 'Hello Friend,' Vs. 'Hello,...
- Pluperfect? (Scrod)?
- Difference Between Adverbial And Preopositional...
- Trip, Travel , Journey , Etc Differences?
- None Of Is/Are Able Vs. None Of Us Was/Were Able?
- Terms And Conditions Apply Or Term And...
- Difference Between ''I Look Forward To Meet...
- * >< [ ] ; ! :_ " What Is It Called In English?
- CAE, Phrasal Construction,Test
- Let Me Know If My Answers Are Correct !?
- Try Calling Or Try To Call?
- Help Me Answer This Scholarship Question?
- Intermediate Paragraph Correction?