Dear All,

I am surpevising a few University students who are supposed both to give at the end of a course a talk on a certain topic and to write a 10 pages long dissertation on the same subject. I am curious how should I call this written work, namely some colleagues of mine call it "Handout" whereas I would rather refer to it as "Term paper".

I always thought of an handout as something shorter, say a leaflet. Am I right, or both words are fine?

I thank you in advance for your answer
No, not a handout. It is more aptly called "report", even "term paper".
Students: We have free audio pronunciation exercises.
A handout is a document that you hand out (=distribute) to people attending a lesson, meeting, etc.
Thanks to everyone... now I understand! Hence "term paper" is acceptable.