Hi there,

I'm doing an exercise covering "around the home" vocabulary and I'm using three different dictionaries and have come across a problem with these words:

1) hob - the flat top of a cooker where food is cooked in pans (British English only ??? American equivalent - stovetop)
2) hotplate - a flat heated metal surface on a cooker/stove used for cooking food or keeping it warm (British English only ???)
3) burner - one of the round parts on the top of a cooker that produce heat (American English only ??? British equivalent -> gas rings)
4) gas rings - a metal ring that gets hot when gas passes through it, used for cooking (British English only ???)

It's crazy! They all mean the same thing! Am I missing something here? I'd like to know which ones are used in AmE and which ones in BrE.

Thanks so much.

PS. Do electric rings exist as well? By way of deduction they must exist as well, since there're gas rings.

I've never seen "hob"before. The stovetop is the entire flat surface, but not all of it is a cooking surface.

The burner (gas or electric) is the round part that gets hot.

For me, a hotplate is a portable thing that you plug in to heat or cook things on, particularly when you don't have a full stove. College students can do amazing meals on only a small hot plate in their dorm room (although they were illegal where I went to school because of the resulting fire hazard).
Thanks for your input.

Can anyone else share their opinion on this matter?