my question occured when i was watching TV:-) you know, i was changing channels all the time (e.g. from HBO to ABC and then to CNN). I think you get the idea. Then suddenly my wife asked how to say that in english. i came up with "changing/switching the channel", but that is awkward, i feel. so i'd like native speakers to tell me how you say about that. thanks a lot.

P.S. i know concerning the TV, we have "tune in""stay tuned", so will "tune" has something to do with the answere?:-)
In the U.S., you would say that you were channel surfing.
Hello Vincent,

you can say "to zap ".

Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?
Hi Vincent

"changing the channel" is perfectly acceptable. Idiomatically (at least in the UK; things are quite possibly different in the States!), a common request might be to "turn it over," e.g, "I hate this program," to which the reply might be, "Well turn it over then!'

People who regulalrly change channels might be considered "channel-hoppers." Don't think the verb "to tune" is used very often in this context.

I'd go along with 'zapping (the) channels' because that's what I'm accused of regularly and told to stop doing by a British wife!!!
 BarbaraPA's reply was promoted to an answer.
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.

doing everything they can

In the UK it is known as channel hopping.


quickly changing from one TV channel to another to find something you want to watch