It's difficult for me to phrase this question. It's related to a design in a house, a kind of partition.

Could you please look at the picture and tell me what we call this kind of (wall) partition (the one that separates the girl at the table from her father) in English? It's very common in houses in Pakistan and India.




I don't see what you are referring to, but "room divider" or partition are words for portable and movable walls.

A room divider is usually hinged, but it can be a hanging beaded curtain.


The area set off from the rest of the room can be referred to by several different names. Because of the table in that picture, I would add the word "dining" to each of these possibilities, as shown below. I list them in order of least likely to most likely to be said.

cove: a recessed place; an architectural member with a concave cross section
(dining cove)
bay: an area of a room that sticks out from the main walls of a house and usually contains a window
(dining bay)
nook: a small often recessed section of a larger room
(dining nook)

These all refer to the area set off from the main room, not to any partition. The main feature of a cove, bay, or nook is that there is no partition, i.e., no wall or screen, that effects the separation of this area from another.

For that specific photograph, I would say "dining bay".


Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.

Thank you, AStar.

Like I said it was difficult to paraphrase this question. If you see closely, the portion where the girl is sitting is not the same as the portion where her father is standing. It is divided by a rectangular arch kind of design. While writing this reply I just Googled 'rectangular arch' and found this. Does it sound natural to you?



Mr. Tom I just Googled 'rectangular arch' and found this. Does it sound natural to you?

Yes, but the whole wall is gone except for the beam overhead. I would just say that the dining room is open to the living room unless the beam itself was important somehow..

Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?
 CalifJim's reply was promoted to an answer.
anonymousthe whole wall is gone except for the beam overhead

Ah. I thought the ceiling was also lower in the dining bay, flush with the lower limit of the overhead beam.

Even so, I would not be surprised if people called that area a dining bay or nook.

The separating structure itself is simply a partition. I've seen a lot of houses with this feature, but I've never heard anybody mention it by name. There is really never any need to do so unless you're going to be an architect. You might find the technical name for it in a dictionary of architecture.