In my work as a translator I often come across the collocation literary sciences in names of some academic bodies, mostly of non-English speaking countries. I am not sure about the meaning and contents of the discipline it denotes. Does it imply only strictly humanitarian studies and research, such as literary criticism, history of literature, etc.? Could semiotics, text interpretation, versification principles and other subjects verging on linguistic and scientific be included here as well?


ThanksEmotion: big smile
An answer on your first post - will probably be others too. Emotion: geeked

where is the answer? please help
There doesn't seem to be one. The original posts in this thread were submitted in 2007, and neither of the posters are now active members of the Forum.
Have you seen the (short) Wikipedia article on the subject?
Try out our live chat room.
Thanks a lot, Feebs11
where is the answer? please help
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.
 Blue Jay's reply was promoted to an answer.

This is a literal, but erroneous, translation from the German "Literaturwissenschaft." It refers to a field of study that, in the English-speaking world, should be called "literature studies."