In fact, I wrote this story a few months ago. I wrote it just after coming back from England in August. I didn't want to use difficult grammar when I was composing it, as I just wanted to write a story about my trip to the UK, no matter how difficult it was. Perhaps, the end is not very good but I don't feel like changing anything now.

England, how it was
It started on the eleventh of July, 2004. We went out of our house and set off for the biggest Russian airport “Sheremetievo”. There were four of us: me, my dad and mum and my sister. We didn’t know what was awaiting us there, in far away England. When we arrived at the airport my sister burst into tears, she explained later that these were just tears of the last farewell before England. We got through all the necessary services at the airport and said a last good-bye to our parents. We knew we wouldn’t see them for whole four weeks. Then we went on board our plane (by the way, we flew with Aeroflot on a Boeing 777). And our journey began…
Before we landed at Heathrow, we could behold a very beautiful sight from the window of the plane – we saw London. It was really fantastic! Then when we landed my sister said to me: “Alex, everybody here speaks only English, I’m scared”. We both hadn’t ever been to England before, so it’s not difficult to guess what my sister meant. On getting off the plane we made for the “Arrivals” hall. There we had to show our passports and gave a receptionist an immigration card we had filled in on the plane. On picking up our luggage we made our way to the exit of the airport. The representatives of our schools had to meet us there. I was the first to see a table with my name on it. I told my sister about it but she asked me to keep silent, because she couldn’t find her name. Luckily, she soon did and we said a last good-bye to each other and parted for four weeks (we didn’t know then we’d meet two weeks later in London).
I came up to the man who seemed to be waiting for me and introduced myself to him. He seemed to be glad to meet me. He said we had to wait for another Russian student; he also phoned somebody and said I’d arrived. After that he told me a coach would come in half an hour. Then I met the Russian girl he was waiting for. We talked to her a bit and I found out she was going to Canterbury, not to Folkestone. I didn’t know if it was good or bad, I simply didn’t care about this at that time.
I was given a lift to my school in Folkestone. When we arrived there a student organiser was waiting for me to give me a lift to my host family. I got into her car and she said to me something like this: “I’m not a good driver, I’ve had four accidents this month”. She was talking about something as we drove to my host family’s house but I didn’t understand everything then, as I was so excited that it was quite difficult to concentrate and try to understand her. After a couple of minutes of driving the car stopped and pointing to the house which we stopped near she said it was my host family’s house. We got out and she helped me get my luggage out of her car. She rang the door bell and I could hear somebody’s steps approaching it. I was scared. “Will I be able to understand my host family?” this question was teasing me at that time. The front door opened and a light-haired woman appeared at the door. It was Donna, my so-called host family’s mother. I liked her at once. The student organiser left promptly and I went to my bedroom. I already knew I’d have to share a room with a Russian boy and I also knew it would not be long, for he was going home in a week. Perhaps, it was even good that I spent my first week there with the Russian boy, because he could show me the town and tell me everything I needed to know. When I unpacked my luggage I asked him to show me the town and he did it. I liked it at once.
Next day I went to my school where I had to take a placement test and be placed in a group. I passed the test and was placed in the best group there. To tell the truth, I expected it. I liked the first lesson I had there. So, my life in Britain began and began well. At first, I didn’t take part in sports activities and it was a little bit boring at home, as our classes finished at 12:30am and I was already at home by 1:00pm. Afterwards, I attended them regularly and the time passed very quickly.
The first excursion I had was the trip to Ashford. We were supposed to go bowling there and be given free time for shopping. I had never played bowling before, so it was very exciting. The game was fabulous and I came fourth. Bearing in mind, it was my first time, I think, it was not bad, was it? I also had trips to Brighton, Canterbury, London, Bluewater (Europe’s largest indoor shopping and recreation park), and Thorpe Park. The best trip was to Canterbury, as we were given a nice elderly lady who showed us around the town and told us almost everything about its history. The other excursions were worth a visit as well but they weren’t that good.
I assume you will not find a person in the world who has never heard about English food. It’s very original. Having visited England once, you’ll remember their food and style of cooking for the rest of your days for sure. For breakfast I always had cereals with milk. There wasn’t a day when I didn’t have cereals for breakfast. Only them. For lunch I was given a packed lunch. It consisted of a couple of sandwiches, a bottle of juice or fizzy water and some fruit. I was used to that kind of food for lunch, so I needed time to acquire the habit of eating all these sandwiches for lunch. Dinner was, without doubt, the best meal. Donna cooked very well and I was always satisfied with food she served.
A normal day began at eight o’clock. I got up, went to the bathroom, got dressed and went downstairs to have breakfast. After breakfast I went to my room and got my trunk ready for school. I had to be at school by nine o’clock. It took me ten-twelve minutes to get to the school, so it’s not difficult to guess what time I went out. I normally got back home at 12:45am to have lunch. Then I rushed to the school again to take part in afternoon activities. Sometimes we had sports activities, sometimes a film. On Wednesday, if the weather was good we had “English In Action”. (On Wednesday morning we discussed a problem and then in the afternoon we went to the town centre and asked people questions on the problem). It wasn’t interesting. When we finished we went shopping. The most boring day was Sunday. It may seem strange but it really was. On the first Sunday, I thought it was good to have a holiday but it was so boring that I got this thought out of my mind immediately.

To my mind, that’s all. I mentioned the most important and exciting things which happened to me in England.
You mean you didn't get to experience the 'Full English' breakfast!

I really enjoyed your account of your visit and it was very well written. There are just a few little mistakes, for example, your use of the phrase 'so-called' host family. 'So called' is a sarcastic phrase, and means that you were not impressed by them, that they didn't really fulfil their duty as hosts, or that they were not actually your hosts.
Yes, you're absolutely right in saying that I didn't get to experience the full English breakfast. It's a pity but it's not very important, I think. Thanks for the explanation. In this case I'll leave out 'so called'. What would you advise me to use instead of this expression?
Teachers: We supply a list of EFL job vacancies
Just describe her as the host family's mother.
2 ReDSanchous:
smotrju,4to ti otli4no na anglijskom gavorish!
ne ho4esh so mnoi nemnogo po baltatj na anglijskom?
v ICQ menja mozhno naiti. plzzzzEmotion: wink
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.