Do I understand correctly that the words

  1. palmist,
  2. chiromancer,
  3. chiromantist

mean exactly the same thing?

According to the Google Books Ngram viewer, palmist is used more frequently than the other two.

Besides, palmist seems to be the least formal of the trio?

Looking forward to your kind comments.


I see signs for "palmist" and "palm reader" and "fortune teller" all the time. I have never encountered either of the other two. They seem to be used in novels about sorcery, magic and witchcraft.