This is a discussion thread · 3 replies
1. When it comes to organizing.....
2. I am opposed to going there.
3. I am committed to doing that.
4. What are the barriers to setting up a company?
5. An alternative apporoach to forming this...
Here, to+verb+ing structures are seen? How can a non native english speakers can identify in which case he would use to+verb+ing...
I appreciate any help.
Here "to" is a preposition that must be followed by a noun phrase, not the particle you put before the infinitive form of a verb.
A gerund (that is, an -ing form) acts like a noun, so there you are.
Note that you could replace those gerunds with nouns/pronouns:
1. When it comes to you, ..
2. I am opposed to religious education ...
3. I am committed to the truth.
4. What are the barriers to the project?
5. An alternative approach to it ...
(well, I do hope this makes sense )
Looking for ESL work?: Try our EFL / TOEFL / ESL Jobs Section!
Should we check whether we could replace those with noun/pronoun.
1. It is essential to knowing the result. but many of us might make a mistake by writing this way-It is essnetial to know the result.
2. The method is dedicated to solving social problems. but many of us might make a mistake by writing this way-The method is dedicated to solve social problems.
How can we remove such confusions while writing a topic. Any help would highly be appreciated.
IEEEIt is essential toNope, don't use that. You need an infinitive there. You can't say "It is essential to" + noun phrase, so don't use the gerund after that "to" (you can have "it is essential that", but this is out of the scope of this thread).
IEEEThe method is dedicated to solving social problemsThat's fine.
IEEECould you clarify how a nonnative speaker can realize where he is supposed to follow the structure we are discussing.I'm a non-native speaker myself, and probably not of great help.
One thing I rely on when in doubt is a good dictionary.
For instance, here are Cambridge's entries for essential and dedicate . Have a look at the examples they provide and follow the patterns.
[+ to infinitive] For the experiment to be valid, it is essential to record the data accurately.
He has dedicated his life to scientific research. >> to+ (adjective +) noun
The new President said she would dedicate herself to protecting the rights of the old, the sick and the homeless. >> to+ gerund
People are waiting to help.
Related forum topics: