Plural with both?

This question has been answered · 2 replies
Which of these two is better?

He received a degree in both mathematics and computer science.

He received degrees in both mathematics and computer science.

The context is exactly one degree for each individual field.
Regular Member587
Approved answer

The latter.

if you wanted to be even clearer, you could also say

He received a degree in mathematics and another in computer science.

Veteran Member79,195
Moderator: A super-user who takes care of the forums. You have the ability to message a moderator privately should you wish. These users have a range of elevated privileges including the deletion, editing and movement of posts when needed.Teachers: Users in this role are certified teachers. This may include DELTA, CELTA, TESOL, TEFL qualified professionals. Email a scan of your qualification to an admin, if you wish to be considered.
Alright. Thanks, Clive.
© MediaCet Ltd. 2016, xC v7.3.1.34535. All content posted by our users is a contribution to the public domain, this does not include imported usenet posts.*
For web related enquires please contact us on
*Usenet post removal: Use 'X-No-Archive' or please send proof of the poster's email, we will remove immediately.
Views expressed in this community do not reflect the views of MediaCet LTD, and we are in no way liable for such content.
Offensive or malicious content will be removed immediately, please send an email to