Hi, I am an ESL learner from Taiwan. Quite recently my collegue asked me to translate a Chinese term into English for her, which I am not sure how Americans call it. We Chinese like to use stamps to show official approval. There is one kind of big table stamp, square in shape, and it is usually more than 5 cm x 5 cm in size and cointains Chinese characters of the school name. In any university in Taiwan, if you get a certificate or diploma, you must see that stamp on it, which shows the authenticity of the document . I am not sure how you call it in English. I looked up "school seal" in Google picture, but the pictures I got are all in round shape, and more like logos. Actually, this is not the thing I mean. Here below is the link that shows how that stamp really looks like.

My question is how do you call it in English?
Is "school seal" the correct term?

Hi Jason and welcome to the forums!

Your question reminded me of another thread (http://www.EnglishForward.com/English/ChopAndStamp/dddcr/Post.htm ) where a link to a page from Wikipedia about Chinese seals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_(Chinese ) was posted. I hope you'll find them useful.

Emotion: smile
Thank you very much, Tanit! I found your links are very useful. Emotion: big smile