Can anyone help me with explaning the differences between "schools", "departments", "colleges" and "faculties" as academic units in a university? It seems that they are used differently in the US, British, and Australian universities. In most dictionaries, they don't specifically discriminate these constituent units on the explanation of the meaning. Sometimes, schools can mean departments. But, it also varies in different unversities. Is there a subordinate relation between these units? For instance, schools and departments constitute faculties?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Question guy
Here's the US version.

We say "college" to generically mean college or university, although technically, a university has more than one college. For example, at "Grammar Geek University," you may have the "Barbara College of Arts and Sciences," and "The Micawber School of Business" and the "Nona College of Public Policy." However, a student enrolled at the university would be able to take classes in any of those "colleges" and there is a good chance that they don't have separat buildings from each other.

The departments align more with the the degrees. The English department sets the requirements to graduate with a B.A. in English, etc.

I'm not familiar with the use of "faculties" they way other countries seem to use that word. To me, it's the professors who teach. My sister-in-law is on the faculty in the Sociology deparment at Pendantic College. (She would have a Ph.D. and be an instructor there.)
There are different ways of using these terms in the UK.

In those Universities which are collegiate-based (ie Oxford), the Colleges are discrete bodies (deriving from monastic teaching centres) which contain the students; Within Oxford University there are four Academic Divisions. Within these are Faculties which are the subject-based groups organizing and carrrying out teaching. Within the Faculties are Departments that are specific subject units within the Faculties.

Oxford University
(A) Colleges
(B) Academic Divisions = ie Humanities Division
Faculties = ie Classics Faculty
Departments = Classical Language and Literature
The University also has Institutes which are primarily concerned with research and post-graduate studies.

In non-collegiate universities, the University is the overall organization, which will have within it Academic Schools (subject-oriented bodies) which will have Departments in which discrete subjects are taught.

For instance:
Oxford Brookes University
-Academic Schools = includes "School of the Built Environment"
-Departments within the "School of the Built Environment" = includes the Department of Architecture [these are primarily teaching units]
-Institutes within the "School of the Built Environment" = includes the Oxford Institute for Sustainable Development [these are primarily research unit]

Very complicated!
Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?

In many dictionaries, they do not particularly discriminate these types of component models about the description from the which means. Occasionally, colleges often means sections. However, additionally, it differs in various universities. Can there be the subordinate connection in between these types of models? For example, colleges as well as sections amount to ability?

Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.