This question has been answered · 25 replies
3. Tonight we __________ (see) a play at the thereatre. I know of no rules governing this, but I think many people make this distinction:
hmm..why is the verb "to see" and not "to watch"?
Thanks in advance!
I watched a movie (aired or on CD) last night [on television]. ~ I saw the new film/play [at the theater].
Generally, you go "see" a play or a movie. Once you're there, you may not watch it. You could be too busy necking with your boyfriend, for example.
Looking for ESL work?: Try our EFL / TOEFL / ESL Jobs Section!
To me, you go to see a movie or play. But once you are in the cinema/theatre, you are watching the movie/play.
So, we should say, "Let's go to see a movie/play." It is not correct to say, "Let go to watch a movie/play."
Thank you Philip, Barb and Yoong Liat for your answers!
Do you mean that it's similar to "hear" and "listen"?
I don't really know how to say it but can it be that when you "watch", you are more concentrated?
I'd say it's exactly the same.
Okies - Thanks once more, Barb! [K]
Approved answer (verified by Yankee)
I'm glad that someone finally decided to try to do this test. I assume that in this test you are supposed to decide whether to use the present continuous or the simple present tense . (A few of the sentences will also work with a tense other than a present tense).
The words in pink letters are my corrections. Sentence number 12 can use either the present continuous or the simple present tense.
YileilillyFill in the blanks with the correct form of words given:
1. I __am reading__(read) a very interesting book now.
2. Joanne _works_ (work) eight hours a day.
3. Tonight we ___are seeing____ (see) a play at the theatre.
4. Who _are _ you _speaking__(speak) to just now?
5. I __don't know ___ (not know) him very well.
6. What will you do if she _comes__ (come) late?
7. My wife _likes__ (like) coffee for breakfast.
8. What ___does___ Tom usually _have__(have) for breakfast?
9. Your train ___leaves____ (leave) at 17.25 from platform 3.
10. What ___does___ Mary ___do___(do) ? She's a student.
11. My whole family __goes__(go) to church once a week.
12. My wife and I ___are going/go___(go) to the beach in the summer.
13. Listen! The phone ____is ringing____(ring) in the other room.
14. Rain seldom __falls__(fall) in the Sahara.
15. He is thirteen years old now, and his voice ___is changing___(change).
16. Let's change the conversation. It ___is getting___(get) too serious.
17. Leap year __comes__(come) every four years.
18. My grandfather ____is growing____(grow) tomatoes in his garden this summer.
19. He __grows ___(grow) them every summer .
20. The children ____are leaving___(leave) for school right now.
21. The children ____leave____(leave) at 8:30 every morning of the week.
22. Shu! The baby ___is taking____(take) her nap.
23. In the north the season __changes___(change) four times a year .
24. Unfortunately, the patient ____is dying____(die).
25. The monsoon season ___comes___(come) once or twice a year.
26. It's spring and the days ___are getting___(get) longer.
27. The weather __gets__(get) very cold in Moscow in the winter.
28. It ___is raining___(rain) hard, and I don't have an umbrella.
29. It's November and the birds ____are flying____(fly) south.
30. Many birds of Europe ___fly___(fly) south to Africa every winter.
These are my answers and I hope you'll correct the wrong ones.
- ..am reading..
- are you speaking to
- don't know
- does Tom usually have..?
- does May do...?
- is ringing
- is changing
- is getting
- is growing
- are leaving
- is taking
- are getting
- is raining
- are flying
this is my ans. and u r correct and send a mail.
4 did spoke
5. dont know
8 do had
10 is doing
13 is ringing
14 is falling
15 has change
20 had leave
21 always leave
22 is takeing
24 is died
26 are getting
27 is getting
28 is raining
29 are flying