1 2
Hello everyone. I have a question. In Islamic law (fiqh) there is a term for the legal ability to annul a contract as long as the meeting is not over. In Arabic it's called خیار المجلس. In Persian خیار مجلس.
Can you tell me the closest term for it in English?
Thank you very much in advance.
Full Member218
1 comment Hi there

This is a diffucult question, and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions, to those of us who doesn't speak either Arabic or Persian.

What sort of meeting are we talking about here?
Is a a contract which is made in a court of law, or between 2 private parties, or between 2 business partners?

what's the word called without Arabic letters?

There are some 'options of annulment' in legal matters, but a lot of them depends on the matter itself.

well, I suggest you to check in Arabic-English Dictionary first.. it is not easy to answer this question here actually
Junior Member93
Looking for ESL work?: Try our EFL / TOEFL / ESL Jobs Section!
All I can understand is only المجلس means board/council
ok. Khiar-almajles I think.
Many states in the US have laws of contract termination, usually within a period of 3-7 days after the contract is signed. It is always a contract for buying something, where the buyer was subject to a high-pressure sales technique. The time to cancel is called the "cooling off" period, where the buyer may have second thoughts. So sometimes these laws are informally called "cooling-off cancellation laws" Here is one example, from California.


Many business contracts have cancellation clauses. For example, if you buy a certificate of deposit, and want to cancel it before the end date, you pay a penalty.
Veteran Member39,161
Moderator: A super-user who takes care of the forums. You have the ability to message a moderator privately should you wish. These users have a range of elevated privileges including the deletion, editing and movement of posts when needed.Proficient Speaker: Users in this role are known to maintain an excellent grasp of the English language. You can only be promoted to this role by the Englishforums team.
2 comments In E.U. contracts are, by definition, legally binding, therefore it’s difficult to cancel without financial penalty unless you can prove breach of contract. In many situations however, such as buying goods from shops, you are able to cancel the contract and get your money back.
Under certain circumstances, you are given the right to cancel over a specific period of time. This is referred to as The Cancellation Period and the duration of this period depends on what you bought and the manner in which you bought it.

So if you ask Alphecca, in America it's called The Cooling Off Period, but in E.U. Countries, it's usally called The Cancellation Period.
1 comment I haven't heard of such a term within the laws of the E.U constitution. If there is a cancellation period, it must be stated within the terms of the contract.
Anytime. Emotion: smile
Show more
© MediaCet Ltd. 2016, xC v7.3.1.34535. All content posted by our users is a contribution to the public domain, this does not include imported usenet posts.*
For web related enquires please contact us on webmaster@mediacet.com.
*Usenet post removal: Use 'X-No-Archive' or please send proof of the poster's email, we will remove immediately.
Views expressed in this community do not reflect the views of MediaCet LTD, and we are in no way liable for such content.
Offensive or malicious content will be removed immediately, please send an email to webmaster@mediacet.com