What is the plural of the demonstrative pronoun "this one" .... these? or these ones?
1 2
Comments  (Page 2) 
Well, for some unknown reason, my post was deleted, JT, so let me try again, same words:

"These ones" is fine, but in terms of semantics (i.e., "technically"), the plural counterpart for "this one" is "these two (etc)".

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I should have defined my terms.
I'll do better next time.
The problem I see with this "technical" perspective is that it may be too narrow: the plural objects being referred to may not be merely "two" things, but may be more... maybe three +.

Hence, the generic "ones" seems to do the job especially well when there are such undefined multiple objects to refer to. Course, maybe just plain "these" is also quite adequate, if a non-technical view is considered???
Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.
Hello zed

You ask about other English-speaking areas, and the non-technical view.

In BrE, you would be quite likely to hear either form, often in combination with 'here' or 'over there':

1. 'Bring that tyre over, won't you, Dave?' 'What, this one here?' 'No, that one over there.'

2. 'And half a pound of apples, young man.' 'These ones? Or the Pink Ladies over there?' 'No, these ones are fine.'

3. 'Now this is the hotel swimming pool. And these are of the view from the bedroom. As for these – that's Dave, who runs the garage down the road; and that's the old lady who always buys a half pound of Granny Smiths.' [Showing holiday snaps.]

In BrE, at least, it's often a question of rhythm. 'These ones' is easier to say, when in combination with other words; 'these' can sound a little brusque.

"these two (ect)"

Sorry. I used "ect" to mean, three, four, "and so on". Emotion: smile