Hi Pieanne,

You might be the right person in answering the questions since you live in France.

What are 'French doors'?

What is the typical door that the French walk through toward backyard or patio? What does it look like?


Hello M2L

I'm not sure what French doors are. But while we're waiting for Pieanne to come online, here are what the English call French windows. (I'm not sure why we blame them on the French. No doubt in France something very ugly is called 'English windows'.)

Interesting - I would call those French doors! I wonder what they call them in France - or if they even have them there.
Teachers: We supply a list of EFL job vacancies
Hi MrP,

Indeed, in UK they are called 'French windows' while they are called 'French doors' in the States. I'm wondering why it is so named? Let's wait what Pieanne would say?

btw, how do you attach an image file?

Thanks for the replies, both of you.
We call them "porte-fenêtres". They are doors mostly made of glass, and usually allow access to a garden, patio etc, since the point is to let as much light as possible into the house - and maybe provide a nice view. I'm not aware of any "fenêtres anglaises" in French... As to the origin, I couldn't say... Maybe/probably they first appeared in France. It's a bit weak, but I've got nothing better to offer. Emotion: smile
...I'm not aware of any "fenêtres anglaises" in French...
It's ok. No need to be polite. I won't take offence. I know they're those ugly little windows with, um, things, and one of those whatdoyoucallems hanging down that make it difficult to, um – well, let's not get too technical here. You know what I mean.

Students: We have free audio pronunciation exercises.
Supposedly, according to my History of Costume professor, French doors were invented to accomodate the extravagantly wide hooped skirts (called paniers) that were in fashion during the 18th Century.