Topic: The graph shows the percentage of male and female academic staff members across the falcuties of a major university in 2012.

[TEXT]

The bar chart illustrates the proportion of academic members of staff by gender throughout the falcuties of a particular university in 2012.

It is clear that the percentage of man staff members was higher than its woman members in most falcuty. In addition, engineering was the area which contain male staff most while the opposite was true for education.

According to the chart, the percentage of male staff in business, engineering, law and science faculties was higher than the proportion of female while the opposite was true in other faculties. Particularly, most figures for male staff was above 60% compared to slightly under 40% of the other gender. In contrast, the proportion for man staff members were lower than its of woman staff members respectively.

Looking at the highest column on the chart, more 80% staff members in engineering faculty were male in comparison with just under 20% of the percentage of female. On the other hand, with nearly 80%, the proportion of woman staff was approximately 3 times as much as the percentage of man staff in education faculty. Generally, the figures for man staff in engineering and woman staff in education were considerable higher than the other faculties.

1 2

Topic: The graph shows the percentage of male and female academic staff members across the falcuties of a major university in 2012.

[TEXT]

The bar chart illustrates (Not a good word to use) the proportion of academic members of staff by gender throughout (Not a good word to use) the falcuties of a particular university in 2012.

(The bar chart shows the relative proportions of men and women staff members in seven different faculties at a major university in 2012. These were: arts, business, education, engineering, law, medicine and science.)

It is clear that (Those words are unnecessary. Describe the data. ) The percentage of man staff members was higher than its woman members in most (How many? Be precise! Actually this is not true. ) ;falcuty. (wrong spelling, wrong form) In addition, engineering was the area (?? not a good word to use) which contain (wrong form) male staff most (ungrammatical) while the opposite was true for education.


(Males had higher percentages than females in four of the seven faculties, and the numbers were about equal for one, namely medicine. Averaged over all seven faculties, there were 55 males for every 45 females. The academic staff in business, engineering, science and law were male dominated, having 40% or less women on staff. The faculties with the largest difference in gender representation were education, with a staff consisting of three-quarters women, and engineering, with a ratio of more than 8 men for every 2 women. The women in the science faculty were also underrepresented, making up about 35% of the staff members. The faculty of the arts department, like medicine, had a fairly equal distribution of men and women; with 55% women and 45% men.)


According to the chart, (Those words are unnecessary. The reader knows you are describing the chart. Just describe the data. ) The percentage of male staff in the business, engineering, law and science faculties was higher than the proportion that of females while the opposite was true in other faculties. (That is not a very astute observation. There were only two choices!) Particularly, most figures (Most is not a good word here. "more than half") for male staff was above 60% compared to slightly under 40% for women. of the other gender. In contrast, the proportion for man staff members were lower than its of woman staff members respectively. (You contradicted yourself.)

Looking at the highest column on the chart, More than 80% of the staff members in the engineering faculty were male in comparison with just under 20% of the percentage (?? 20% of some percentage value?) of female. On the other hand, with nearly 80%, the proportion of woman staff (unnatural phrase) was approximately 3 times as much as the percentage of man staff in the education faculty. Generally, the percentages of figures for man staff in engineering and woman staff in education were considerable higher than the other faculties.

Thank you so much for your help.

I have a question, that is why did you know about figures for both men and women with 55% and 45% as I did not figure out any datas for that ?

Site Hint: Check out our list of pronunciation videos.
Tuấn Đỗ Hoàng ThiênI have a question, that is why did you know about figures for both men and women with 55% and 45% as I did not figure out any datas for that ?

An average is computed by adding the percentages and dividing by the number of percentages. Here is the rough data for the bar chart:

Faculty

Men

Women

Arts

30

55

Business

65

25

Education

25

75

Engineering

85

15

Law

60

40

Medicine

50

50

Science

65

25

SUM

395

305

Average

55 (rounded)

45

Thank you.

Oh, Can I paraphrase the word male/female staff members by male/female labours/workers/employers ?

Tuấn Đỗ Hoàng Thiên

Thank you.

Oh, Can I paraphrase the word male/female staff members by male/female labours/workers/employers ?

No. Why do you want to paraphrase it?

In Task 1, you are asked to be exact, precise and mathematical in your use of the language. Paraphrasing is not very helpful. Instead, use pronouns and sentence structure to avoid excessive repetition.

In Task 2, you are asked to be eloquent and descriptive in your use of the language. Paraphrasing can be very useful.

Students: Are you brave enough to let our tutors analyse your pronunciation?

Because I read that paraphrasing was the best way to show the ability on lexical resources criterion. Actually, I do not whether I should do it or not.

What do highlight words mean?

Tuấn Đỗ Hoàng ThiênBecause I read that paraphrasing was the best way to show the ability on lexical resources criterion.

It will lower your score if your paraphrase does not match the terms used in the Task 1 instructions.
In math and science, terms have very specific definitions. There are very few with exact synonyms.

Use paraphrasing in Task 2. In Task 2 you are presenting your opinions, justifications and arguments, and eloquence and expressiveness is a valuable skill to show. Paraphrasing is important. You will get a better score for lexical resource if you use a range of vocabulary words correctly in Task 2.


In Task 1, you are showing your ability to precisely, logically and accurately describe a figure in a textbook. You have good lexical resources if you make effective use of pronouns and versatile sentence structures that present the data and avoid repetition. In Task 1, paraphrasing is often a distraction.

Students: We have free audio pronunciation exercises.
Show more